The Youth Fishing Program (YFP) is a statewide team of volunteers and Nebraska Game and Parks Commission staff who host educational fishing workshops, and is just one facet of the NGPC’s Aquatic Education Program which focuses on:
- Discovery of recreational fishing opportunities through activities that teach youth and families how to fish.
- Education of the role that NGPC plays in maintaining the State’s fishery resources.
- Education on the aquatic communities, ecology, and resources of Nebraska.
Other components of the Aquatic Education Program are the Aksarben Aquarium Outdoor Education Center, aquatic education in the classroom, and a variety of fishing events and programs (like Family Fishing Nights).
The goal of the YFP is to introduce Nebraska’s youth and their families to fishing as a healthy and fulfilling outdoor activity. To accomplish this, we provide materials, equipment, and guidance in helping you, the instructor, host a successful fishing clinic.
Clinics are targeted to youth and families with little or no angling experience. We recognize that there are numerous steps that people experience before they truly become anglers.
- They need to be introduced to fishing
- They need to know how to catch fish
- They need access to equipment
- They need to have a place to fish
- They need the support of family or friends who fish
We want to give Nebraskans these opportunities! Youth Fishing Instructors teach skills like casting, knot tying, basic fishing techniques, ethics & safety. When practical, every participant should leave a clinic with the ability to effectively rig, cast, and retrieve a fishing pole and to identify the fish species they will be most likely to encounter. As a YFI you will be able to request all the necessary instructional materials, including fishing equipment, to lead a successful clinic.
The certification process is simple. Request an application from firstname.lastname@example.org, attend a 4 hour training workshop and complete a background check. Please email or call Lindsey at 402-471-5591 for additional information.