Family Fishing Event is a general label we give any type of program that includes an open invitation to the public to join us and to learn about fishing. We promote them with the following statement.
Sponsored by the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission, events will be held at venues across the state. Look for the Family Fishing Trailer where loaner rods and reels, bait and fishing instruction are available free to participants. This is the perfect opportunity for people of all ages who have never been fishing or haven’t fished for years to learn. All participants ages 16 or older need a current fishing license (OutdoorNebraska.org for permits). For the calendar of additional events and detailed information visit FamilyFishing.OutdoorNebraska.gov
Examples include the Kearney Expo, Carp-O-Rama, Family Fishing Nights**, etc.
**Family Fishing Nights are how we refer to the short, weeknight-evening events held at local lakes. These are held Monday through Thursday, 6 to 8 PM, at lakes such as Holmes in Lincoln, Yanney in Kearney and Terry’s Pit in Scottsbluff.
Suggestions for holding a Family Fishing Event:
> Select an appropriate lake. See the Fishing Guide/Public Fishing Areas section for lakes designated Family Friendly Lake (FFL).
- Groomed parks near populated areas
- Concessions, restrooms, playgrounds, picnic areas
- Good fish populations, fishing access, piers
> Contact Fisheries Education Staff for support. Several months in advance is preferred.
- Publicity in local media, organization calendars, social media, distribution of brochures and posters
- Arrange for NGPC and YFI staff support
- Arrange for use of Fishing Activity Trailer
- Arrange for additional materials and supplies
> What to expect at a Family Fishing Event.
- Attendance can vary due to publicity, weather, conflicting events. Don’t be disappointed with low turnout; they always grow the second year.
- Prepare for many but do what you can with what you have. Add activities for the overflow such as fish printing, camping games, etc.
- Companion event with others. – Example: City Festivals
> Family Fishing participants are wonderful!
- Usually happy and appreciative parents and children.
- Low maintenance – Get them started fishing and then help when needed.